Remission of debt

An eraser, a pencil and a document

Do you want to apply for cancellation of a claim?

  • The application must be in writing.
  • You must state clearly why you think the claim should be cancelled.
  • Enclose relevant documentation.

What happens when you have submitted an application for the cancellation of a claim?

In most cases, we have to forward the application to our clients.
The only claims we can decide are reminder charges for fines, student loans and legal costs awarded to the state in civil cases.

We consider whether cancelling the debt might be seen as objectionable by society. For example, it will be objectionable if you deliberately do something to make your financial situation worse in order to have your debt cancelled.

Even if you apply to have a debt cancelled, we do not stop enforcement of the claim while the application is being processed.

About the cancellation of claims relating to:

  • Fines, legal costs and confiscations
    These cases are dealt with by the Ministry of Justice and Public Security after the police have stated their opinion on the matter. An application for the cancellation of a fine is regarded as an application for a pardon. You can send the application directly to the police or you can send it through us. If you send it through us, you must write in the application whether you want it to be forwarded to the police.
  • Claims for compensation in damages
    We send applications for the cancellation of compensation claims to the party to whom the compensation is to be paid.
  • Student loans
    We consider applications for the cancellation of student loans that have been permanently transferred to us.
    In some cases, we help the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund in connection with applications that concern terminated student loans.
  • Late submission penalties
    If you wish to apply for the cancellation of penalty charges for late submission because of your current financial situation, you must send the application to us.

    At least 25% of the claim must be paid/covered before we can grant a cancellation.

    If your financial situation is not the reason why you are applying for cancellation, you must send your application directly to the Register of Company Accounts (Regnskapsregisteret).


Contact us